IRS Scams (March 2017)

Tax Tips

Don’t Fall for Scam Calls and Emails Posing as IRS.

By Michael Aston, E.A.
Alhambra Tax Center


IRS scams. Watch out, because the odds are you’ll get one.

The most common IRS scams are done by telephone. The scammers will get as much information about you through public records. They’ll ask for you by name. And once they get a hold of you, they’ll try their intimidation techniques; “Payment must be made now, or the Sherriff will be knocking on your door.”

You’ll be told to purchase prepaid credit and/or gift cards (it seems the ‘iTunes’ card is their current liking). They’ll ask for the card account numbers. And then, your money is gone.

REMEMBER THAT -- no government or private business will be taking gift cards (from another company) as payment.

ALSO REMEMBER THAT -- another popular scam is to say you have a refund coming, but they need your bank account information to send the money.

IRS employees will NOT:

·       Call a taxpayer if they owe taxes without sending a bill.

·       Demand payment without allowing to question or appeal the amount owed.

·       Demand to pay the taxes a certain way like gift or prepaid debit cards.

·       Ask for a bank accounts, credit or debit cards over the phone.

·       Threaten to contact local law enforcement to arrest for non-payment.

·       Threaten legal actions such as a law suit.

If you get one of these calls, just hang up. If they call back, tell them you know it is a scam.

You can report the phone call by going to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration and use the “IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting”.

IRS Tax Tip 2017-10 for phishing emails, the IRS offers this advice:

·       Don’t reply to the email.

·       Don’t give out your personal or financial information.

·       Forward the email to, then delete it.

·       DO NOT open any attachments or click on any links. They may have malicious code that will infect your computer.

More information about IRS scams can be found at Also, if you have any questions contact your tax professional.